Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Drive for Knowledge

Recording setup in my car.


During my first series of recording (which I have already posted below) while I was driving my car and patiently waiting to hear the results of my first attempts at recording, a eureka moment overwhelmed me. I suddenly became aware of the ergonomics of the drivers surroundings as an interface of perfectly placed controllable extensions of the engine. This surprising perspective on the environment I had previously taken for granted made me aware of how much of an impact the body has on the car.

I instantly started to imagine how the pressure I apply to the Brake Pedal or the Gas Pedal would move through the engine being transferred into different types of forces, creating combustion, creating motion, stopping motion. But soon realized that my imagination can only take me as far as my knowledge would allow. I had no idea what laid under the hood of my beloved 1998 Hyundai Accent. For me, a car was a tool of transportation and as long as I made it to school on time then the simple task of driving the car was enough knowledge for the time being.

But the curiosity of the muffled sounds beyond the dashboard demanded that I learn more. That I learn exactly how the pressure that I apply on the Brake Pedal is transferred into the deceleration of my car.


Some images of the microphones attached to my car

Engine


Air Intake


Shock (Bottom)

No comments:

Post a Comment